If you are suffering from recurrent or persistent ear issues such as ear infections, ringing in your ears, or vertigo, you need to seek out the expertise of our ENT specialist. The ear, nose, and throat specialists at ENT & Allergy Specialists Of Northwestern Pennsylvania in Erie, PA, provide a wide range of ENT services, including diagnosis and treatment of ear issues.
What You Need to Know About Ear Issues
Ear issues are a common problem among people of all ages, from children to adults. Some of the most common recurrent or persistent ear issues include:
- Ear infections, which can be caused by a virus or bacteria entering the ear canal
- Hearing loss, which is a common ear issue as we age
- Vertigo, which is chronic dizziness and loss of balance
Let’s look at these ear issues and their treatments in more detail:
Ear infections can be caused by a virus or bacteria. Ear infections are more common in children because the inner ear is not fully developed. For an ear infection, your ENT specialist may recommend:
- Antibiotic medication to kill the underlying bacteria
- Antiviral medication to kill the underlying virus
- Prescription ear drops to decrease pain, and swelling, and help resolve symptoms
Hearing loss can affect people of all ages, but it is more commonly experienced as people age. If you are experiencing hearing loss, your ENT specialist may recommend:
- A hearing screening, to determine the severity of hearing loss
- Hearing aids, help you hear sounds and speech more loudly and clearly
- Cochlear implants, compensate for parts of your ear that are no longer working properly
Vertigo is caused by your eyes, inner ear, and sensory nerves not functioning well together. If you are experiencing vertigo, your ENT specialist may recommend:
- Medications, including antihistamine, anticholinergic, or anti-nausea drugs
- Physical therapy, which can help you maintain balance
- Ear surgery, to place the medication in your ear to help with balance
These are just a few recurrent or persistent ear issues your ENT can treat. Your hearing is precious, and your ENT specialist can help protect it.
Call Our ENT Specialists Today
To learn more about recurrent or persistent ear issues and how our ENT specialists can help, call the ear, nose, and throat specialists at ENT & Allergy Specialists Of Northwestern Pennsylvania in Erie, PA. You can reach them in the office by calling (814) 864-9994, so call today.